IT’S ALL ABOUT JESUS
No one is more loved or hated than Jesus.
This is not surprising, since he’s the most famous person in all of human history. More songs have been sung to him, artwork created of him, and books written about him than anyone who’s ever lived. Even our calendar is based off his life, dividing time before and after him.
Naturally, someone this important will have fans and foes. And a lot of people have an idea of who Jesus is. They may get this idea from TV or movies, maybe from past church experience and Sunday School felt boards, from history books, or maybe from just hearsay. But just because we have ideas of who Jesus is doesn’t mean we actually know Jesus.
At Abundant Life Church, we’re all about Jesus—and the only way to get to know Jesus is to understand what the Bible says about him, which includes what he said about himself.
What did Jesus say about himself and what does the Bible say about him?
The Bible tells us that Jesus is God who came in human flesh to live on this earth; He is God the Son, eternally one with God the Father and God the Holy Spirit. He alone can forgive our sins and give salvation.
Many people believe that Jesus lived, was a good teacher and a very spiritual man, but they deny that he is God. A diluted Jesus is not the real Jesus. We must be careful to believe in the Jesus that he himself declared he was See: Hebrews 1:1 – 3, and 2 Corinthians 11:3.
Here are seven declarations and actions of Jesus that show us who he believed he was and is:
- Jesus said He was God (John 14:8)
- Jesus said He came from Heaven, God’s eternal dwelling place (John 6:38)
- Jesus said He was sinless, as God alone is without sin (John 8:46)
- Jesus forgave sin (Mark 2:5)
- Jesus said He was the only way to Heaven (John 14:6)
- Jesus accepted worship as God (Matt 14:33)
- Jesus performed miracles including raising others and himself from the dead (Matt 4:23)